February 04, 2014

Runeberg's Cake


It has become something of a tradition that I bake a Runeberg's Cake at this time of the year (see my previous versions here and here). Again this cake isn't something I liked growing up; the bitter almond taste was probably not sweet enough for a child's taste buds, but I've grown to appreciate the taste and texture of Runeberg's cake. I must admit, I don't bake much nowadays, but I couldn't miss the opportunity to enjoy this cake once again. 

Runeberg's Cake*
(recipe adapted from Kotiliesi)

1 teaspoon baking powder
130g plain flour
200ml melted butter
150g raw caster sugar
2 eggs
120g finely crumbed gingerbread cookies
100g almond meal
100ml milk

raspberry jam
60g icing sugar
1 tablespoon water

* You can moisturise the cake after baking with some water and liquor, if you like. 

1. Preheat the oven to 200C, grease a loaf tin and line it with baking paper.

2. Mix baking powder with the flour and set aside.

3. In a separate bowl, beat butter and sugar. Add eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition.

4. Mix in the cookie crumb and almond meal. Add flour mixture and milk and stir until smooth.

5. Pour into the prepared tin and bake for approximately 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin, then turn (upside down) onto a wire rack. Mix icing sugar with water into a smooth paste. Once cooled, decorate with raspberry jam and icing sugar. 

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this type of cake, but it sounds absolutely delicious! Love the crumbled gingerbread cookies in it!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds nice! I love almonds in cakes so I certainly have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete